Self Introduction

To: Brad Blackstone
From: Yun Yue Tan
Date: 24th January 2018
Subject: Self-introduction

Dear Brad Blackstone,

My name is Tan Yun Yue, currently a Hospitality Business undergraduate from Singapore Institute of Technology (SIT). I previously graduated from Singapore Polytechnic with a diploma in Hotel Leisure Facilities Management where I took on the specialization in the facilities field and took on an internship at CapitaLand Limited.  

Upon graduation, being unsure about which career path to pursue my degree, I took a gap year. Within the course of one year, I travelled to various countries with my family and saw how people in the hospitality industry could bring smiles to their guest. I also took up part-time job as an event promoter, mending the play corner and promoting playdoh set. Through these, it made me realise that I find happiness in interacting with people and putting smiles on their faces which led me to choose this course.

On strengths and weaknesses, I find that I am a good listener who is willing to give a listening ear to people’s full perspective. During which, I would try to emphasize with them before giving them an opinion of my own. I am also willing to take any criticism in my stride and reflect to see how I can improve on myself. On a contrary, I lack confidence when required to present in front of a group of people which leads me to speak faster and blush.

Through this module, I hope that I would be less afraid to step out of my comfort zone to confidently speak up in front of a crowd while clearly articulating my ideas across to them. I would also hope to improve my writing skills by presenting my ideas in a clear and concise manner.

With Regards,

Yun Yue

Comments

  1. Dear Yun Yue,

    I think it is wonderful that we both enjoy interacting with people and bringing joy into their lives. It will certainly make it easier for us being in this industry. Also, I respect that you are open to constructive criticism as I believe it is necessary in order for an individual to improve themselves.

    I hope that through this module you will be able to gain more confidence in yourself when presenting and be an effective communicator.

    Warm regards,
    Mohamed Shafique

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for taking the time to read my introduction and commenting! I'm glad that we both enjoy bringing joy into people's lives! Let's work together to bring more smiles to our guests!

      With Regards,
      Yun Yue

      Delete
  2. Dear Yun Yue,

    Nice blog layout you have there! I took the same course as you back in polytechnic. It was great to know you here in SIT and i am glad that you are being open to your weakness.

    To be honest, I have the same problem as you. It is always hard to bring ideas across to different people in words especially to a group of strangers.

    Lets work and improve together!

    Love,
    Venus

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Venus,

      It amazing that we were from the same polytechnic course and now we are in the same course in university. Lets work hard together to overcome our problem ! :)

      With love,
      Yun Yue

      Delete

  3. Dear Yun Yue,

    Thank you for this interesting letter. I enjoyed learning about your unique background, most especially your varied job and interpersonal experience . I appreciate the concrete details that you have shared, especially the idea that 'putting smiles' on customers faces gives you satisfaction!

    I also applaud your willingness to share info on your comm skill weaknesses. We will certainly address public speaking throughout this term. In addition, we will adress your writing. To start that process off, please consider these points:

    1. overuse of capitalization
    -- a Hospitality Business undergraduate

    2. sentence structure
    -- Through these, it made me realise... >>> These experiences made me realise...
    -- During which, I would try to emphasize with them before giving them an opinion of my own. >>> (sentence fragment; misuse of relative pronoun)
    -- a group of people which leads me to speak faster and blush (punctuation)
    see https://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/645/01/

    3. wrong word
    -- On a contrary, I lack confidence.... >>> However, I lack confidence....
    -- clearly articulating my ideas across to them >>> clearly articulating my ideas to them

    I appreciate all your effort, and I look forward to getting to know you better.

    Best wishes,

    Brad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Brad,

      Thank you for your feedback in helping me to improve my writing skills. I will take note and remember not to make similar mistakes in the future.

      Thank you!

      With regards,

      Yun Yue

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts